Cloud computing – the word “cloud” is normally used in synonymous to “Internet”. So cloud computing can also be termed as “Internet based computing”. Cloud computing is the process of using remote servers to store, manage and process data thereby not to use local servers.
Cloud computing revolutionize the field of education. This article shows you the various advantages of cloud computing in education.
Cloud computing has three major uses:
- Software as a service
- Infrastructure as a service
- Platform as a service
Software as a service:
In this method the user can access the software for the amount which is lower than the amount required for buying a licensed product. The Software as a Service is also provided as monthly. So the user can access the software whenever on demand.
Infrastructure as a service:
Infrastructure as a service is used to by organization in order to outsource the equipment used to support operation, hardware, servers and various other networking components. The cloud providers are responsible for maintaining and running it.
Platform as a service:
Platform as a service is another form of cloud computing in which organization can rent hardware, operating system. Customers can also rent virtualized servers and other services which are essential for running the applications.
There are lot of advantages of using cloud computing in schools and colleges and some of them are:
- It helps both the teachers and students to share information via cloud. That is the teachers can upload their information or study materials directly on cloud. Then the students can access the information and can gain knowledge through it.
- Another advantage is that the students can attend classes outside the classroom. This can be attained through cloud computing. The students can log on to space and can attend their class sessions. This helps the teachers in such a way that there is no need to manage classrooms which are packed up with hundreds of students.
- Teachers and students can access software and various tools for free through cloud computing. Confidential information can be stored in cloud which prevents less theft that may occur.
- Cloud computing is a low cost option for various colleges and universities. It provides high computing facilities for low cost.
- Time consuming process like admissions can be done via cloud within fraction of seconds.